Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer at Harvard!

Hello everyone!


I am spending 10 weeks in Boston through the SHURP program at Harvard Medical School, and it’s been amazing so far. Under the tutelage of Carlos Loya, a graduate student, and the rest of the Van Vactor lab, I am studying synapse formation and how it is regulated by microRNAs, focusing specifically on miR-8. We use the Drosophila neuromuscular junction as our model system, and I am using fly genetics, immunostaining and cloning techniques to better characterize how miR-8 regulates the actin cytoskeleton at the synapse. Through meetings lots of people, I have had a lot of fun both in and out of lab. My fellow SHURPers and I have planned various outings since the program began, such as tours of Boston, museum trips, watching fireworks along the river, and time at the beach. I also have had the chance to run into Richard and Ryan, since we are all living in the same building. I am also researching graduate programs and (slowly) studying for the GRE. I’ll be sure to provide future updates!


Hope everyone’s having a great summer,

Michelle


P.S. Here are some pictures of Boston:


A view from the quad. My lab is next to this building.


Part of the Boston skyline. The weather has been like this most of the time I've been here.


The Charles River.


A shirt to help me improve my Bostonian accent. :)



No comments: