Tuesday, June 17, 2008

New York, New York




I am conducting research at Rockefeller University through the HHMI EXROP and am associated with their SURF program. The name of the PI and my lab mentor are Dr. Cori Bargmann and Dr. Dirk Albrecht. We are housed in no clear department that I know (I think there are no departments at rockefeller). I arrived in the city June 13 and my thoughts thus far are quite varied. 
The first thing I noticed when I got here were that people were a bit more aggressive. Something about their mannerisms and the way they speak is just more confrontational. I suppose it is understandable considering that take risks every day crossing the street. Since I have gotten here I have sadly not yet interacted with any undergraduates. Since I started late I haven't met any of the people in my program and have mainly spoken to people in my lab, mainly my PI and lab mentor. The main reason I probably haven't interacted with anyone is I am housed in a single room in the upper east side of manhattan called the 92st Y. 
That said the buildings the food and my lab are great. I have been just amazed by the wonderful architecture and I have a great view from my apartment building. I have also had the occasion to roam the streets of new york and try various eateries. As for my lab it seems to be an interesting problem. Although it is on something completely different than I am used to it is really nice to try and address another behavioral issue. Rockefeller itself is also quite nice in that it is extremely well funded and absolutely beautiful. 
My hope is tomorrow I will get the chance to meet some people in my program and figure something to do other than walk around and eat. 
-Ryan Dosumu-Johnson

No comments: