Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Mark Douglass, Summer 2014, Blog Post 2

Mark Douglass
08/29/14
Marc Summer Blog #2

This summer has been a whirlwind of excitement, productivity, and growth. I was able to learn so much from dedicating myself completely to lab life. I am more excited than ever to understand viruses on the molecular level. I worked independently, struggled though many troubleshooting phases, and as a result became a much more confidant researcher. I was able to synthesize a recombinant gammaherpesvirus with a tagged ORF73. This will allow me to transition towards experiments that will identify the molecular function of ORF73 within the context of a latent infection.  I hope to have significant results by the time I present at the SACNAS conference here in Los Angeles.


Within SPUR I thoroughly enjoyed the seminars and workshops we were exposed to this summer, and greatly appreciated the career opportunities that were showcased to us outside of the field of academia. I was able to gain much insight into my possible future as a future MD/PhD. Because of this program I was able met some incredible people, receive excellent guidance, and I was able to make some lasting friendships with future colleagues. I could not have asked for more.



No comments: