Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Elitzander Alegria-Leal


Blog #1: 6_18_12.
Today was my first day in Genentech Hall at the Mission Bay campus. The campus is actually tiny but, it’s growing with two medical centers under construction. The weather here is just right. Mission Bay doesn’t get the fog that the rest of San Francisco gets in the morning. I’m told that the average temperature is about 60 o and that the overcast is just right; keeping the day bright. The building itself looks very modern and professional on the outside and first floor. I was pleasantly surprised to find a different environment in higher level floors. I saw everything from ping pong tables to an arcade machine. I was scheduled to meet with my PI, Dr. Morgan, and graduate student mentors, Juliet and Vanessa. The whole day was spent giving me a break down of the lab’s research and what my specific project would be. It was rushed because my PI is leaving the country tomorrow but, he explained everything very well. Everyone in the lab and neighboring labs was very welcoming and were very happy to talk to me about their research. I am very excited to go back and start tomorrow.

















Blog #2: 7_02_12.

Today was a very long day in the lab. A couple of days ago I finished my radioactivity training and I received my ring monitor which keeps track of how much radiation I am exposed to. Most of today consisted of an enzyme assay where I needed to use the isoptope 32P to visualize my protein on a gel. I am studying a protein called securin and how it binds to an enzyme called the Anaphase-Promoting Complex (APC). The goal of this project is to understand how phosphorylation of securin regulates its ubiquitination by the APC. This summer event is my first time working in a biochemistry lab and it was very interesting to see how much care and precaution goes into working with radioactivity. When it came time for me to do the pipetting, I think I actually broke a sweat. It was definitely a learning experience and I look forward to redoing the assay with more confidence next time.






Blog #3: 7_23_12.

Today I came back from the Amgen symposium at UCLA. I had no idea how much I missed my home campus until I arrived this Saturday. I quickly realized what the difference was between UCLA and UCSF; the fact that there are no undergraduates at UCSF. Personally, I enjoy the atmosphere at UCSF where the environment is much more casual and the entire school is based on the health sciences.
The entire two-day symposium was filled with networking opportunities.  We had round table discussions where I was able to connect with PI’s from UCLA, including Dr. Quinlan who works in the department of Biochemistry at UCLA and did her post-doctoral work at UCSF. Dr. Quinlan worked next to and collaborated with the lab that I am doing my summer research in. My roommate for the summer program is also a MARC student and we both ended up meeting plenty of additional MARC students at this event.




Blog #4: 8_02_12.

So all of my experiments are complete, I presented an oral presentation to my lab and fellow SRTP students, as well as present my very first poster. The stress was gone now and I knew that I couldn’t leave San Francisco without catching a Giants game. HHMI bought tickets for some of the labs with a $25 dollar food credit! The Giants were going up against the Mets and it’s the first time I got to see either teams play live. During the summer I met plenty of people just walking around Genentech Hall and I was able to recognize a lot of those familiar faces at the game. Although the Giants didn’t do so well this game, the game was free, the food was free, it was a beautiful day, and I got the chance to hang out everyone outside of the lab environment (although I overheard plenty of conversations centered around research throughout). UCSF is such a casual academic environment and I didn’t see a difference outside of the lab (this is a really good thing!). I’m going to miss everything from the weekly beer hours (sometimes hot wings included!) to the custom made coffee mugs featuring pictures of PI’s with their faces plastered over the scanner of a copy machine.





No comments: