Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thuy Tran

Blog #1

Hi everyone,
It’s Thuy (pronounced “Twee”) Tran here at UCSD for my summer research program in the Cell and Developmental Biology department. I’m in Dr. Randy Hampton’s lab looking at generating overactive mutant E3 ligases involved in ubiquitination in the ubiquitin-proteasome protein degradation pathway. One of the largest differences between my lab at UCLA (Dr. Steven Clarke’s) and UCSD’s lab is that everything here is very green- as in everything is recycled in some way. Pipettes are glass, culture tubes are glass, plastic cuvettes are reused… and rewashed to be used again. There’s even a trash can that’s solar-powered here! I believe it’s supposed to send some kind of signal that shows it needs to be emptied or something like that.
Overall, I am enjoying my experience here. The weather is beautiful. It’s breezy and cool even when there’s a cloudless sunny sky above.  My faculty mentor is absolutely one of a kind. I can’t stress how much he’s made my experience here better. He’s very informal, super enthusiastic about everything, and used to be a comedian. And he might play the banjo. Anyway, here’re some pictures!






Blog #2


Hi everyone,
Research is going well. My project is actually very well planned, and I think it’ll be successful – I have hope!  So I’ve noticed that there are two types of people who walk down the halls in science buildings: ones who look at you and/or smile, and ones who try in every way possible to decipher the composition of the floor. It’s safe to say that this observation is true at UCSD too.
One difference between here and UCLA is that the summer panels seem to be a bit… more informative? I was in the SPUR program at UCLA last year during the summer, and the panels were great and provided lots of valuable information about grad school/applying and such, but there’s something about UCSD that is more personable. One of the biggest ideas here is stressing that when applying to graduate schools or professional schools, they’re looking for future colleagues, not students or trainees. The whole evening-out of this hierarchy is very new to me. We were also able to meet up and have lunch with the engineering/biomedical sciences faculty. I met Dr. Forbes, who was a mentor to our Dr. Tama Hasson at UCLA! Everything’s starting to connect together, and I’m very excited for the upcoming weeks here. Here are some pictures of the obstacle course we had to climb through as part of the summer program “bonding.”






Blog #3

Dear MARCees,
Summer’s over halfway done now. I’ve noticed that there are many rabbits hopping around mowing the lawn here at UCSD. They’re like the squirrels we have at UCLA, except those are a little more feral.
More about my research, I’m looking at protein degradation and regulation, specifically the HRD (Hmg-Coa Reductase Degradation) pathway. I’m generating an overactive mutant of the enzyme (Hrd1 – an E3 ligase) that catalyzes the addition of multiple copies of ubiquitin to substrate proteins, which are then recognized and degraded by the proteasome. Things are progressing as expected, surprisingly. This research is important in identifying how Hrd1 recognizes what should be marked with ubiquitin for degradation. It’s also implicated in cystic fibrosis, where a mutant protein is over-actively degraded by the ubiquitin-proteasome system, leading to an overproduction of mucus in the lungs and pancreas. This condition is potentially fatal, and approximately 1 in 29 people in the United States have this recessive allele. I can visualize my mutant overactive enzyme by looking for dim GFP colonies of yeast – the enzyme is actively degrading its substrate, which is linked to a GFP marker. The first picture has dim mutants compared to the brighter wild type control. I had about 40 plates to analyze.



Outside of lab, the summer program here has bonding events outside of campus every once in awhile. We went to Mission Bay for moonlight kayaking! It was pretty frightening because I don’t know how to swim and I don’t trust life vests. All in all, it was fun; we watched the fireworks at the bay afterwards. I found I have muscles in my arms that I never knew existed. Well, they’re so insignificant that all they do is exist. My kayak was the slowest of them all, but it left time to enjoy the midnight stroll in the bay. Here are some pictures!
 


 






























Blog #4
Dear MARCees,
One of the speakers for a workshop in my program told us a fun joke: “What’s the difference between an introverted engineer and an extroverted engineer? The introverted engineer looks at their shoes while they’re talking to you, while the extroverted engineer looks at your shoes while talking to you.”
Anyway, I’ve had the most amazing time at UCSD. Their biology program is top-notch, and there are so many labs working on protein degradation research here. I am definitely considering this school for my graduate studies. Nothing really beats the weather here, and I will definitely miss the serene atmosphere of La Jolla. However, it’s time to move on back to UCLA and hit the ground running. If I learned anything from my summer research here, it’s that there’s really no time to waste and every minute counts – either for advancement in research or enjoyment in life! I hope you all have had equally or more amazing experiences during your summer.  See you at the MARC symposium!
Below is a picture of yeast colonies expressing GFP (green fluorescent protein) that I streaked into some words:



And these tags are from the summer research conference with my fellow UC LEADS Bruin:







No comments: