Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wendy Plante

Blog #1       
  Hello from UCLA! This summer I decided to stay with my resident lab to learn and get as much done as possible. So far this summer has been an excellent chance for me to master (or attempt to master…) understanding fMRI neuroimaging, boy has it been a feat!! I have been lucky enough to attend lectures held by the world-renowned Neuroimaging Training Program here at UCLA and through some social functions have even been able to chat with some of the faculty members here. So far I’ve also received my MRI safety certification and have gotten to assist during many scans and actually interact with our participants! This has been a great experience because we are researching differences in neural activity between kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Typically Developing children, which means I get to meet, interact with, and make the kids feel comfortable when they go into the scanner (which can be pretty scary for some).  We are also beginning to bring in more infants, some as young as 4 months, to look at their brain activity while they’re sleeping. This is a new and exciting area of imaging to be involved in and soon I’ll be helping with those scans as well!
            Outside of research, this summer is my first in LA and I’ve gotten to explore it much more than I could during the hectic school year. I’ve found a good group of people to play soccer with, another group to play beach volleyball with, and have attended art shows at the Hammer and plan on going to the art walk this Thursday! There’s still a lot more of LA that I need to explore and I can’t wait to do it!

No comments: