Wednesday, September 10, 2008

paola castro SPUR 2008



I'd like to tell you a grasp of my summer experience. This summer 2008 turned out better than I expected.Not only did I get to work in a lab full time. I also got to attend my first scientific conference, thanks to the MARC program, I have a better understanding of what it is like to work in a team, and grew as a person. The scientific conference I attended took place in Wisconsin. The lab I became part of this summer studies aging. Shilpi, my graduate student mentor, and I study aging in the Caenorhabditis elegans model. The all the research presented at the conference I attended was concentrated on this worm. As a result, the conference was a great opportunity to get to know my model even better! Furthermore, Shilpi and I got to meet other researchers that pursue similar studies to our own from other universities.

This summer I got to start on a project that I will continue on fall quarter and that I will get to tell you all about when we get together just before the start of this fall quarter. The main purpose of the project is to investigate the effects that Vitamin C has on the longevity of the C. elegans. Almost all plants synthesize Vitamin C. Our lab is currently investigating whether the worm makes this important antioxidant. The inconclusive results suggest that the worm does not synthesize it. If in fact, the worm doesnt synthesize it, it would be interesting because humans are on of the few vertebrates that do not synthesize vitamin C and must obtain it by dietary intake. I hope to obtain more results this fall quarter and share them with you all!

I hope everyone had a great summer!!
I've attached some pictures. One of me and my poster and the other of cheese hats for sell at the Wisconsin airport.

sincerely,

Paola

No comments: