Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Summer Wrap Up


Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a enjoyable and productive summer where ever you went. I stayed at UCLA, as mentioned in my previous post, and I had a great time and got lots of work done. I will pick up from where i left off last time in my previous post.

My work on T. brucei focuses on understanding the regulation of flagellar motility. Briefly, my goals were to identify components of the dynein regulatory complex using a relatively new crosslinking method and also to identify post translational modification and protein differences in regulatory mutants. Unfortunately the work with in vivo crosslinking has been so far unsuccessful and may not work at all if the trypanosomes do not recognize the photo-amino acids as such. It appears that the trypanosomes do not grow in the presence of these photo-amino acids but they still may be taking them up. I am running one last test; hopefully it works! If not I will try some different DRC solubalizing methods to see if I can make regular IPs more successful.
My other project is progressing nicely. I recently received mass spec results on our flagellum isolation preparation and have spent the past couple days pouring over the data, trying to organize it and make it presentable. We have had the help of Dr. Wohlschlegel here at UCLA with this project and he and his lab have really done an excellent job! The preparation contains 951 proteins so I have my work cut out for me. Once we analyze it I will probably begin looking at uncharacterized proteins which are likely to be flagellar and target them with RNAi and tag them for localization experiments. I have a lot of work ahead for me in the Hill lab and I am very excited to keep going.

I look forward to meeting you all soon as well

Jason Melehani

No comments: