Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Walter Hardesty Blog 2


     Hey guys! I hope everyone is having an exhilarating summer both inside and outside of the lab. I’ve been working hard in the Hill Lab specifically with this social motility assay we like to call “SoMo.” I briefly explained it in my last blog and even showed a picture, but basically it’s a behavioral assay that tests the capacity for a trypanosomal cell line to engage in social motility. Because this is a new technique employed in the lab, we’re still working on optimizing the protocol. I’ve been the only researcher in our lab using this technique extensively as a way to answer my research question. For this reason, the graduate students, post-docs, and even my P.I. have oftentimes asked me for my input in terms of what I think works best. This is a great feeling because it underscores the importance of my contribution to the lab; it also reminds me that I am at the front lines of cutting-edge research. Other labs across the world including Switzerland are using this novel technique, so I assume it’s my responsibility to obtain robust and reproducible results!

     Anyway, enough of that. I’ve also been cloning in the carbonic anhydrase gene into a construct which contains an HA epitope. After my sequencing results improve (argh), I will soon be transfecting the parasites with the epitope-tagged construct and performing immunofluorescence to determine the localization of carbonic anhydrase.

Here’s me cloning.
 
So what you’re seeing here are a bunch of flasks containing different parasitic cell lines.
“IS THAT BLOOD?” one may ask
………
The answer is…….no! I wish, how cool would that be?

Actually, it’s just a pH indicator that turns red based on the pH range within the media inside.
 
 
 

No comments: