Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Walter Hardesty Blog 3

     Hello everyone! The summer really has gone by so fast. I am so astounded by the amount of work that I’ve gotten done so far. There’s simply no way I could’ve done this during the quarter.

     I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to figure out why my carbonic anhydrase knockdown cell line is not exhibiting social motility at 5% CO2 during the SoMo assay. For a while, we all thought it was my technique. But now, we all think there’s something wrong with the cell line. After I showed the data to my P.I., he believes that I have kept these parasites in culture for too long.  Apparently, when you passage parasites (or any other microbe for that matter), in suspension culture for too long, they can acquire mutations or alter their gene expression levels in a way that can disturb normal knockdown levels upon RNAi (RNA Interference) induction with tetracycline. Wow, that was definitely a mouthful even for me! I guess the take-away lesson is that you want always want to be working with fresh aliquots of these parasites!

     Check them out! Notice the turbidity of the media in the flask. That’s a dense culture of parasites. Looks like it’s time to split (dilute) them into a new flask

 
     And also quickly, I wanted to introduce my good friend, Hoangkim Nguyen. She’s one of the graduate students who recently published a paper on CMF22, an axonemal protein that is required for propulsive motility in T. brucei. Kim is great! She has been a positive influence over my work here in the Hill Lab this summer. I come to her for advice on my projects, career plans, and life in general!
 
 


2 comments:

DDS said...

Summers are the absolute best time to accomplish research as an undergraduate. Just think, it would have taken you the whole academic year possibly to trouble shoot your problem. Thanks for the post!
DDS

Unknown said...

15 hours a week of research during the academic year agreeably is simply not enough time to make headway in a project. Thank you for all of your wonderful support this summer, Dr. Simmons!