Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Big Apple









































































Hi all,

I am still here in New York and I am enjoying it and a little put off by the situation. I love lab work (I just love science wherever I go). I really miss my whole life at UCLA though, my lab, my friends and my family. I have been pulling a lot of 10-12 hour days and it seems to be taking its toll now. Haven't been getting a lot of sleep because of the other work I have to do. Funny thing is I am the one pushing myself so hard cause the post doc I was working with has left and now I'm alone with my project. I am now trying to overcome issues with flowrate because at initial analysis it seemed the worms could sense lower than picometer changes in chemicals and everyone was a little worried about that. Now I have to use math and run some physics-like experiments to try and adjust the flow rates. Also I have been having a lot of trouble with the MATLAB code we are using so I have had to play around with that. All in all this is not the kind of work I am used to but I am adjusting and it is most definitely good science just not birdsong. It is hard to be completely naive to a my current system but I am slowly getting things. I have enjoyed going out when I can here in New York. I got to go to a great jazz club this past sunday and have had the chance to eat a different restaurant every day here so far, something that would require a car in LA. Here are some pictures of the view from my lab( almost every room has huge windows with absolutely amazing views) and around New York.

-Ryan Dosumu-Johnson

1 comment:

Quiz Champion said...

NICE PHOTOGRAPHS....I LIKED IT..POST MORE...