Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Biogen Idec - Perspective from Industry

Hello from San Diego! Glad to hear everyone who posted is enjoying their summers. For the new MARCies, my name is Chloe and I just graduated as a MARC scholar in Spring. I will be entering the Biomedical Sciences PhD program at UCSD in the fall and this summer I am working as an intern at Biogen Idec. I am a part of the Immunology Drug Discovery Team and work under Dr. Elisabeth Mertshing. I can't tell you the specifics of my project besides we are working on a small molecule inhibitor to stop B cell activation with our target disease being Rheumatoid Arthritis. It is really exciting working on a translation project that could go into clinical trials soon. It makes me so motivated to go to work knowing we could develop a drug to help millions.

Other than enjoying being touristy and outdoorsy in san diego I have been enjoying the perks of corporate life. Biogen Idec is equipped with a 24/7 gym, volleyball court with sand imported from fiji, a nurse who customly designs your desk to be ergonomically comfortable, and biweekly TGIF's complete with inflatable sumo suits. The company is all about making employees happy and healthy so they will be more productive. The upsides of biotech are new and state of the art equipment and resources while the downsides are not having as much creative freedom with projects as they must follow the goals of the company. Hope to keep updating you all and pictures soon to come.

-Chloe Rivera

No comments: