Thursday, July 24, 2008

UCLA - Summer in the Portera Lab

Hi everyone,

So I'm finally taking the time to write my introductory blog as a new MARC student. Never too late to start, right? I am currently at UCLA in the Portera-Cailliau lab in the department of Neurology where I have been involved in studying development of the neocortex since April 2007. I have been working with my post-doc mentor, Alberto Cruz-Martin, on imaging dendritic spines in a mouse model for Fragile X Syndrome and comparing them to normal wild-type mice. In the first two postnatal weeks, we have found significant differences in the morphology of spines in Fragile X mice. It's interesting because we are imaging slices during a period where no one has really looked at before. Next I plan on identifying abnormalities in synapse number and distribution in Fragile X mice during this early developmental period. The hours in the lab are long, but so far I am thoroughly enjoying my summer experience. It's great not having to worry about classes and I love having the time and freedom to try different experiments and learn a ton about the field and so many aspects of research. My lab mates are also great to be around, making my lab experience all the better. I'm also in the Amgen Scholars program, which is basically an opportunity to get funded for 10 weeks during the summer and meet students from across the country all interested in biomed research. There are also some helpful workshops and a 3-day (really a 2.5 day) symposium. So far that's been excellent as well. Well, I guess I'll get back to reading papers.. I'll try to add updates when I can.

Best,
Michelle Crespo

No comments: