Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Teia Noel Post 2

Hey everyone,

For the past two weeks, my life has revolved around RNA sequencing analysis. In particular, I’ve been trimming reads derived from leprosy lesions, and aligning them to human and M. leprae genomes. Alternatively, I have been submitting jobs, watching them fail, editing my scripts, resubmitting jobs, repeating this process a few more times, and then finally succeeding. I’ve learned a lot through all of this troubleshooting. However, I look forward to a change in routine, as I am about to start an exciting step in my project. Now that my reads are all groomed and mapped, it’s time to explore data that is often ignored and left misunderstood: the unmapped reads. Thanks to a new tool developed here at UCLA, we can analyze where these reads come from. Amongst these reads are those that map to BCR and TCR loci, which are left unaccounted for by other sequencing techniques due to their complex processing. Today, I was able to successfully run the tool on a few samples, and I’m excited to take a peak at what the results look like starting tomorrow.

I’ve had some cool experiences outside of the lab as well. Last week I was able to attend a journal club that my mentor led, where we discussed computational tools that have been recently developed to analyze antigen receptor-coding genes. At times I felt that I was really straining my brain to make sense of the discussions that came about during these meetings. Nonetheless, I feel that I now have an improved understanding of the benefits and drawbacks of the tool that I’m using, and why it is a good match for my project.

It feels like the five weeks I’ve spent in the Pellegrini lab have flown by. I’ve already learned so much in the short time I’ve spent here, and I’m excited that it’s just the beginning.

Talk to you all soon,
Teia

P.S. I decided to put a bit more effort into taking photos this week, so here’s a photo essay called, “Lab Is Where the Laptop Is”

*Disclaimer: Most of my work is done in the lab; puppies and nature are very distracting.

    







No comments: