Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Mona Charitzeh Blog 2



Hello everyone! Glad to hear everyone in having a blast so far in their respective programs. I cant believe its already week six of the program here at UCLA- where has the time gone?! Passing the half way mark is bitter-sweet because although Oye is now part of the lab, Omar, a visiting undergraduate from Vermont will be leaving soon. For some time, I was the only undergrad in the lab and it was really fun having two other people around.  

 


 



In the past couple of weeks, I was able to harvest the cells from the MEFS and use them for various projects. We looked at effective knockout of ATG7, levels of LC3, and the protein NF-kB which is involved in inflammatory response all by running a western. As you can see below, my first western didn’t look so great (and neither did the million that followed because each time there was a different problem) but eventually I was able to troubleshoot the problems and finally get results.  

 

In the upcoming weeks I will be doing more protein expression assays and also looking at cytokine levels in my ATG7 +/+ and +/- mice due to a report that loss of autophagy leads to increased cytokine levels. I have extracted RNA from the cells and am super excited to be working with Dr. Scumpia’s lab in the department of dermatology to doing real time PCR checking for cytokines.

Hope you are all doing well!

-Mona

No comments: