Thursday, July 21, 2016

Jose Luis Orozco Blog 1

My name is Jose Luis Orozco. I am going to be a fourth year student studying Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology at UCLA. This summer I am continuing my research in the lab of Dr. Peter Tontonoz. Our lab focuses on lipid metabolism, lipid-responsive transcription factors and their targets. My graduate student mentor and I are currently working on a project focused on cholesterol transport.

We have identified a gene that is expressed by a transcription factor that is responsive to excess cholesterol. We believe that the protein corresponding to this gene may elucidate how cholesterol moves within the cell. From the proteins architecture three types of domains have been identified. We have not yet determined where the protein co-localizes to, but we suspect one domain to be a lipid binding domain.This leads us to hypothesize that this protein acts a transporter for cholesterol.

We are currently working on proving that the lipophilic domain binds cholesterol. In order to do this we must clone the domain into a virus and infect cells to make our protein. Here is a gel of the elutions used for protein purification with the last well being the concentrated pure protein of interest.



 
We have also been working on cloning truncations of the protein and control domains into plasmids for transfection to eventually prove the specificity of our domains more rigorously through confocal microscopy. Here is a photo of my bacteria being plated, a typical step in the cloning process.




Here is a cool picture I took while out for lunch. It was the first time Ive had Chee

rwine since last summer when a friend from North Carolina introduced me to it in Texas.



No comments: