Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Eric Sosa, Post 3



As I continue in my research as part of the MARC program, I continue to learn more and more about the process of conducting and presenting research. Under the guidance of our principal investigator, my post-doctoral fellow and I will be publishing a research paper that will serve as the culmination of our work on the study of dorsal-ventral gene expression through an RNA-sequencing technique. This is a great opportunity for me to learn about the process of writing and reviewing a research paper. Outside of the laboratory, I have attended seminars that have expanded my scope of knowledge within both the scientific world and the society at large, one of which was a talk given by Dr. Barber on the importance of conserving the marine biodiversity that exists within the Coral Triangle. I have also completed a first draft of my diversity statement which served of great use to begin preparing me for my graduate applications. As a conclusion of our work, I have begun constructing a research poster which will be presented here at UCLA in a few weeks, and hopefully at other conferences abroad. I am both excited and saddened that we are in the last stretch of our summer research program, but am looking forward to making the most out of these last few weeks.

Best regards,
Eric 

This frog very accurately represents the lab's excitement day in day out.

​A banner given to us by Dr. Barber in order to spread awareness about conserving the Coral Triangle.

The manuscript cover of our most recent work. I am very excited to begin the writing process.

1 comment:

Benni Vargas said...

Congratulations on moving on to get your work published! I like how you are finishing strong with your last few weeks at UCLA.