Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ruben Galindo, Post 2



Salutations everyone. It has come to my attention that I have forgotten to introduce my work and my background in my first post. Due to the exciting and educational experiences I have had in lab this summer, it must have slipped my mind. Therefore I have introduced myself and explained my research below.

My name is Ruben Galindo and I am a rising senior majoring in Biochemistry. At my home institution of UCLA, I work in the lab of Dr. Carla Koehler researching the import pathway of Pink1 into mitochondria due to its link to Parkinson’s. During the summer of 2015 I am working at the University of California San Francisco in the lab of Dr. Robert Stroud through the Amgen funded, summer research training program (SRTP). Under the guidance of Dr. Alex Vecchio, I am determining the feasibility and stability of recombinantly expressed human tight junction proteins using HEK cells.
A brief introduction about tight junctions is that they are cell structures, comprised of various proteins, found in epithelial tissue that regulate paracellular transport and cell-cell adhesion. Due to the importance of TJ’s in epithelial tissue function, dysregulation in their formation causes deafness, cancer, food borne illness and renal disorders. The common method of expressing human proteins uses insect cells because of their easy and established usage. The problem with this system is that insect cells are not natural hosts of human proteins, and as a result are unable to express various stable proteins. Therefore, my research focuses on determining how well human embryonic kidney cells express various human TJ proteins.  Due to the nature of my research, I work with insect cells a lot, as well as perform various types of protein purification using affinity and size exclusion chromatography. So far I have met many people, learned many things and had lots of fun.

A Few Human Tight Junction Proteins

Size Exclusion Chromatography Instrument Used For Purification

No comments: