Friday, August 21, 2015

Rachel Lopez, Blog 3



Hey everyone!

I hope everyone has been enjoying their summer and time in lab. I have a little less than two weeks left in lab and I’m excited to go back home. I have learned a lot while in this lab. Most importantly, I learned that I really love research and it’s not just because I love my lab in UCLA. My project has been coming along just fine. Our cells did start beating! It was very exciting to see them. I believe the file is too large to share here. Aside from my project, I have been able to learn new skills, like isolate cardiomyocytes and build boxes haha. I don’t think I’ve ever seen my hand shake so much trying to keep it steady while cannulating the heart. I’ve also been enjoying my time in Seattle very much. It’s been very sunny and warm with no rain, except for one day last week where it finally did rain. A few weeks ago I went up to Vancouver and Whistler and this past Sunday I went whale watching with my mentor. I also went to Leavenworth, a Bavarian village, and I actually got to hear people yodeling. It’s all been so amazing. 


This is me really excited to have found this heart in Vancouver.

Enjoying Stanley Park.

A cute little creek found while exploring Whistler.

Can you find the eagle?

Some of the Orcas we found. They were giving us quite the show but it was hard to get pictures of them.

I stained the cardiomyocytes I isolated. I’m so proud of them :)!

No comments: