Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Eric Sosa Summer 2016 Blog 1


Hello everyone,

      My name is Eric Sosa and I am a senior majoring in Human Biology and Society. This summer I will be conducting research in the De Robertis Lab here at UCLA, through the CARE SEM SPUR/MARC and HHMI-EXROP program. In the lab we are focusing on understanding the pathways and mechanisms that give rise to gastrulation and eventually the vertebrate body plan. My summer project is a continuation of the work carried out during the year and will consist of sequencing many frog embryos treated with varying growth factors in order to identify new gene targets.

So far I have attended many seminars that have been helpful in preparing me for MD-PhD programs. I have met with numerous undergraduates who have the same passion for science as me and have enjoyed speaking with them about their research and similar experiences in the lab setting. Dr. De Robertis and postdoctoral fellow Yi Ding have both been immensely helpful in teaching and guiding me to become a better scientist. I am looking forward to my future seminars in the summer and cannot wait to get even more lost in the science.

 

No comments: