Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Oye Bosompra Summer 2016 Blog 1


Hi everyone! 

 

My name is Oye Bosompra and I am an incoming third year majoring in MCDB. I was just recently accepted into the MARC program, and thus this summer I was given the opportunity to work in Dr. Hilary Coller’s MCDB lab in Terasaki as part of SPUR. The Coller lab studies regulatory networks that maintain cell cycle transitions between cell quiescence and proliferation, and how faults within this network contribute to cancer metabolics. My research specifically focuses on different isoforms of the RECK protein, a serine protease anchored on the cell plasma membrane that is thought to be a suppressor against tumor cell lines. Changes in their expression alongside their down-regulation of matrix metalloproteinases affect cell migration and invasion as seen in tumor metastasis. The study of these protease-protease interactions is important in the analysis of cancer progression extending beyond cell division and proliferation.

 

It’s been less than 3 weeks so far, but I already feel like I’ve learned so much about what it means to have a career in research. I’m still learning basic skills, such as cell culturing and running western blots, but I have a great mentor (who has cloned genes over 130 times while being at UCLA and is walking me through the process) and I’m gaining insight I would have never gained otherwise. The nice part about my lab is that all the members are so relaxed and have a light sense of humor! It’s also been great having Mona, a fellow MARC Scholar, in the same lab as me so I can harass her with basic questions as I adjust to the lab environment. I’m excited to see what this lab will teach me throughout the rest of summer and into the school year!

 

 

Maintaining sterile techniques with Omar and Mona!

 

 

 

 

 

 




 
                                  Cultured my first plate of fibroblast cells!






No comments: