Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Fernando De La Torre Summer 2016 Blog 1


Summer Reflection 1:

 

I am very thankful that – after coming out of a strange spring quarter – I finally feel like I am regaining confidence as a student and as a developing scientist. My summer mentor Sky (a post-doc) is super invested in seeing that I learn all the underlying lessons of my summer project. I am also proud to say that I have shown initiative in troubleshooting components of my experiments, by producing positive results despite the setbacks. That being said, Sky is very receptive to my questions, checks-in on me frequently, and he has said he is impressed with the progress I have made on a project which he called ‘ambitious’ from the start. I haven’t had many chances to interact with my PI – Dr. Denise Monack – but now that my project is well underway, I think we’ll have more to talk about moving forward.

 

This is the house I’m living in while at the Farm:

 

/Volumes/TRUEBLUE/IMG_0280.JPG

 

It has been very insightful to live in a house with students from many different parts of the country, each with their own particular viewpoints and cultures. I even started learning Farsi from some good friends that I have really connected with since being here. The summer programming has also been fantastic! We have a coding class every Friday afternoon too, that I’m really taking advantage of to learn Python and R for my future classes.

 

Something that I have been itching to do is attend a thesis defense (after Eddie Polanco told me about going to one at Albert Einstein). I ran into this announcement today (7/7/2016) while walking down the hall of our lab building:

 

/Volumes/TRUEBLUE/IMG_0279.JPG

 

CRISPR/Cas9 is huge around here! The Monack lab also uses CRISPR to remove genes from murine, bone marrow-derived macrophages. I might get a chance to try this technique when I start working with another post-doc (Marta) next week. In any case, I’m going to schedule time to go to this defense. I’m looking forward to it!

 

Overall, the summer program at Stanford has been a blast thus far! If things continue going this well, I can easily say that I’ll be returning to UCLA with a newly reformed confidence that has been long overdue in my books.

 

I’d also like to send my warmest regards to Dr. Long, Dr. Jones, Alfredo, Dr. Quinones, and Dr. Goins back in Los Angeles.

 

Sincerely,

 

Fernando

No comments: