Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Mona Chatrizeh Summer 2016 Blog 1


Hi everyone! My name is Mona and I am an MCDB major biomedical research minor currently working in the lab of Dr. Hilary Coller. My appointment with the MARC program started this month and it is now week 3 of the CARE SEM SPUR program here at UCLA and experiments are in full swing. The whole lab studies quiescence, a non-proliferating stage in the cell cycle where there’s been noted to cause have decreased metabolic activity. Since a majority of cells in the body are quiescent, these studies can be applied to a plethora of illnesses ranging from metabolic diseases such as cancer to chronic wounds. My project has been focused on studying autophagy, a protein degradation process required to maintain quiescence. We have discovered that autophagy deficient mice don’t heal wounds as well as autophagy proficient mice and speculate this might have something to do with their fibroblasts. In the past few weeks I have harvested autophagy deficient and proficient mice and established cell culture lines which I will hopefully soon analyze with westerns!

 

/Users/monachatrizeh/Desktop/IMG_4115.jpg

/Users/monachatrizeh/Desktop/IMG_4187 (1).jpgFACS computers are not only useful but really cool looking too. You get to watch color changing glowing action while it sorts cells using lasers. Unfortunately, we don’t have one in the Coller lab for me to stare at all day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mouse embryonic fibroblasts plate that I will soon be harvesting!

No comments: