Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Teia Noel Summer 2016 Blog 1


Hey everyone,

 

I’m Teia and I’m a rising junior majoring in Computational and Systems Biology. This past year, I spent a couple of quarters in classes where I got to hear a lot of professors talk about their projects in computational biology. I’m excited to have finally started work in Matteo Pellegrini’s lab here at UCLA, which focuses on developing and using high throughput computational techniques for genome analyses. My project focuses on the complicated relationship between the immune response and leprosy infections. The disease is defined by a spectrum, where on one end is lepromatous leprosy (L-lep), which is progressive and severe, and on the other end is tuberculoid leprosy (T-lep), which is more controlled. Additionally, L-lep generates a humoral response, while T-lep results in a cell-mediated response. While studies have already found more B-cells (in particular, those expressing the IgM immunoglobulin) present in L-lep versus T-lep lesions, B-cells and T-cells are diverse, which encourages us to learn about this topic in more detail.

I’ve been able to work with Serghei Mangul in Eleazar Eskin’s lab, who developed a cool new tool that maps unmapped reads resulting from other RNA seq analyses. The unmapped reads come from complicated RNA segments. Among these are those that code for T-cell receptors and B-cell receptors, which result from the complex processing of the TCR and BCR loci. The goal is to see if we can find any variants of these proteins in leprosy lesions in order to learn more about the different immune responses that correspond with the clinical spectrum of leprosy.

I’ve only been here for about a week and a half now, but I’ve had a blast learning loads about immunology, the UNIX operating system, and RNA sequencing techniques. I also have to say that I’ve been working pretty comfortably, since PPE is nonexistent in this dry-lab environment. I look forward to a productive summer, and to hearing about all of your experiences!

 

Teia

 

 






Text Box: I know this appears to be a not-so-interesting photo of my lab work, but some pretty cool things are happening on this 11’’x7’’ screen.

Text Box: I really struggled with finding a second photo op in the lab, so I guess this will suffice.Macintosh HD:Users:teianoel:Downloads:IMG_0339 (1).JPG




No comments: