Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Brian Perez Blog 1

At the Oval, Stanford Univ.
My new summer research experience at Stanford looks promising. The first few days it rained all day, not what I expected for summer weather. The general climate here is much cooler that Los Angeles which I totally love.   Do not want to be too hot over the summer. The first week was very busy, so many orientations and ice-breakers, but it was worth it. I feel much closer to my new roommates who I am sharing a house with. During the end of the first week, the Stanford Summer Research Program took us on a scavenger hunt in San Francisco. It was great! The next day many of us from the program went to attend the Pride Parade held on Sunday which was also lots of fun. I finally got to see the amazing city.


I feel like I am going to learn a lot from this summer in the lab doing research and also about improving my professional skills. I am working in a lab that works with proteins and making peptides for pharmaceutical purposes. My project specifically focuses on new drug discovery aimed at protecting heart tissue during a heart attack. I am also going to be learning many new techniques that I am not familiar with that are essential in almost every lab like Western blots and cell culturing techniques. I have also been giving the opportunity to set up protocols for new experiments that the lab does not do, so the experience will be interesting since no one here really knows what to expect.
Some of my new friends on a tour of Stanford Univ.
Hanging out at San Francisco by the ocean!
 

1 comment:

DDS said...

I would love to hear more about how things have gone. One of the great benefits of going away for summer research is to explore new cities. It seems like you were off to a great start!
Best, DDS