Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Taylor Brown Blog 2


Hello Readers! :)

Well, I’ve officially been in the MARC Research Summer Program for a week and a day! Boy has it been a ride (in a good way)….and it’s only just started! I’ve met so many cool people (and several of them are from out of state); that’ll be me next year! I’m excited! I should start thinking about where I want to go for the summer…hmmm….but anyway back to the program!
We had a “Considering Graduate School” Workshop with Dr. Simmons last week on Tuesday, and I found it very helpful! It’s nice to have a timeline of when everything should be completed, as well as the guidelines for the documents you have to submit with your graduate school application. I will definitely be using the handout as a reference!
When I’m not in a Workshop or eating lunch, most of the time I’m in…hah well where do you think? 40 hours a week baby! And boy do I need all the time I can get….I’m learning how to clone! And it is not easy hah! Bbbbuuuttttt, yesterday, I think I got 1 out of 3 of my constructs successfully cloned on my first try! (which may not sound like an accomplishment to you, but it is to me; cloning is no joke! Haha). Yesterday I ran a colony PCR on my bacteria, just to see if the DNA insert may be there before we send it to sequencing to confirm…and it looks like we have the insert we’re looking for! Hah I had to take a picture of it, even though it may not be my insert….but it’s still exciting stuff! :D
 (basically, the lanes with the letters are colonies from a plate that should have my construct. And the bands in the row with the two bright bands might be my insert! I’m sending colony A to sequencing to make sure)

I have to get the cloning finished before I can actually do experiments that will give me the data I want, and cloning doesn’t always work…so I’m working really hard to get through this step so I can start working with my cell lines (eventually…there are still lots of steps to do in between before I can get to that point…but progress is being made!). I’ve definitely learned that science requires PATIENCE haha.

When I’m not in lab (or rather, am waiting for a 2 hour digestion or PCR reaction to finish hah), I enjoy playing basketball (there’s a court in CHS! The court isn’t fabulous, but there’s a net, and that’s all I need! Haha).

Otherwise I am reading papers pertaining to my lab or project at one of my FAVORITE study spots on campus, Janss Steps!
(I’ve also recently discovered that the Bombshelter sells Crepes in the morning….I love Crepes!)
This past weekend, my parents also came to visit me! So I had lunch with them on Friday (sushi; yummm!) and then my Dad and I went to Santa Monica Beach on Saturday! I love our Daddy Daughter Days(:

Well, that’s all for now, folks [oh, and I promise the picture quality will be better once I get my new phone in August!]
Thanks for reading!(:


No comments: