Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Taylor Brown Blog 3

Hello Everyone,

 So I attempted cloning again to try and get an insert for 2 of my mutants and the wildtype RRM2, hoping that the third time was the charm. However after the letdown of Cloning attempts 1 and 2 (Cloning attempt 1= only 1 out of 3 of the inserts in bacteria; Cloning attempt 2= no inserts/bacteria!), I packed my bag for the beach this morning, with the intention of checking to see if I had bacterial colonies from my cloning and if there were none (which was the case the last time) I was going to do my labwork (work on assignments due for the MARC program as well as reading scientific papers) on the beach. Win-win situation, right? I thought so. So I walk into lab, and then to the common equipment room where I let my bacterial plates incubate overnight, telling myself that if I didn’t get colonies this time, it’s okay, I’ll get them next time and at least I get to enjoy the beach…and Wah-Lah!!! I had colonies on all of my plates, and none on the ligation control plate, which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!!! (here is a very fuzzy picture of my plates haha…basically I got bacterial colonies and could proceed to the next step!....New phone with a better camera coming soon! lol)


 So I excitedly texted BJ, my mentor, (oh I didn’t show you a picture of us huh? Here you go haha)

 




Anyway, I excitedly texted him saying I got colonies, and he gave me the okay to go to the next step (he was on his way to lab). So today, I’ve been busy picking colonies, doing colony PCR, and I just finished loading my gel…We’ll see if the colonies I picked have an insert! I really hope so, because if they do it’s on to a miniprep and then sequencing to REALLY confirm that I did my cloning correctly; wish me luck! :D
 
P.S…after my gel is finished running, I’ll post the picture on here(:
 

That’s what I was looking for guys!!! ^ (not the circle; the bright bands). I’m so excited! Progress is being made! :DThanks for sharing my excitement :) I’ll write again soon!

-Tay

No comments: