Thursday, August 28, 2014

Benni Vargas, Summer 2014, Blog Post 1

Hello everyone this is Benni Vargas and I am a 4th year MIMG student.  I am currently doing summer research under the CARE SEM Summer Research Program. I recently got into MARC and I am doing research in Dr. Robert L. Modlin’s lab in BSRB in room 246.

Using leprosy as a model, our research is concerned with the responses stimulated in B cells as measured by cellular proliferation in tuberculoid leprosy versus lepromatous leprosy. We hope to gain insight into the role B cells play in the immune response to Mycobacterium leprae, an intracellular pathogen that causes leprosy. This information may provide new possibilities for advancement of treatments for various human diseases.

We have had numerous attempts in creating a positive control for B cell stimulation. We need a positive control in order to confirm that indeed B cells are being stimulated in the presence of M. leprae. To do this, we have isolated peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from blood, isolated B cells from those PBMCs, and plated the B cells with various stimulatory reagents in hopes of getting them to proliferate.

Hopefully soon after we establish our positive control we can actually do some experiments with M. leprae!

It has been quite an experience so far here at the Modlin lab. At first I was working very dependently with my direct mentor. Now, I am becoming more independent. In fact I am doing an experiment by myself tomorrow! My direct mentor is gone for clinical duties tomorrow and it is up to me to carry out this experiment. This will be fun.


In the picture below I am isolating PBMCs from blood. The PBMCs are at the interphase between the ficoll (colorless) layer and the plasma (orange) layer:


In the picture below I have plated my B cells with various concentrations and combinations of stimulatory reagents such as immunoglobulin H + L, CD40 antibody, and immunoglobulin M antibody. Sorry for the picture quality (I used flash)!



No comments: