Thursday, August 28, 2014

Tien Phan, Summer 2014, Blog Post 1

Hello!

I guess I should introduce myself in the first blog. My name is Tiên. I am a senior majoring in Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology and minoring in Biomedical Research (and possibly Bioinformatics). I am currently working in Dr. Karen Lyons's lab under the department of orthopedic surgery. My research project revolves about the proteins CCN1 and CCN2. Since not a whole lot is known about them, we are investigating their roles in embryonic cartilage differentiation, the molecular pathways that they're involved in, and the relationship between them.

I am now trying to finish the BrdU incorporation study which uses fluorescence immunohistochemistry to look at cartilage cell proliferation in mouse embryos. I am also currently responsible for the primary mesenchymal cell pellet study which looks at the effect of CCN1 and CCN2 on osteogenesis differentiation. 


I have been learning so much since I joined Dr. Lyons lab. I am constantly learning new skills, and I am absolutely loving it! I learned cell culture, immunostaining, animal handling... I get to work with mice, mouse embryos, viruses... Our lab uses the mouse model, so I got to learn mouse dissection which never fails to give me the thrills! Everyday in lab, I feel like a sponge, and I am super eager to absorb new knowledge that comes my way. I am so grateful to have an awesome mentor who's patiently taught me so much, who challenges me with projects while always giving me the needed support and guidance. Below is a group picture we took last quarter, though not everyone was in it. I am the fourth person from the left, wearing a white lab coat.


I really like it here. So much that I've decided to nest. I have my gallon of milk, my cereal, noodles, and my cup in the lunch room. I also have Lilian and Amelia hanging out on the window sill next to my desk.


 I can't wait to see what the next 2 years have in store :D

Peace out!


No comments: