Thursday, August 28, 2014

Rachel Lopez, Summer 2014, Blog Post 1

Research this summer, along with the seminars and workshops I’ve been attending for SPUR, has been quite the experience. I have been give information through the seminars and workshops that will prove to be useful for my career such as writing for and looking for grants to help fund my education. In lab, I have been learning a lot of new techniques as well as mastering the techniques that I have acquired over the past year in my lab. This week started with isolating hearts for my project. Here is a picture of me holding a tube with three separate layers. It’s a step in the protocol that I have come to have a love hate relationship with because it’s been difficult to get just right. The top layer is all the organelles from the cells that are not what I need for my extraction. The middle is the buffer that separates everything in nucleus, which is found at the bottom of the tube. This next picture is of the standard curve for my quantification of the amount of proteins I’ve isolated from the whole hearts. This is what a standard week looks for me in lab.



No comments: