Thursday, August 28, 2014

Taylor Brown, Summer 2014, Blog Post 2

BLOG 2:

Hey guys!
Sooooo, my MSRP program is sort of all kinds of awesome! I love the people in it, and I’ve gone to a Harvard music festival, Salsa dancing, out to eat (ice cream and dinner), to the movies, kayaking, played JUSTDANCE, had “brunch”, went on a boat cruise, went on a trip to Martha’s Vineyard, jumped on trampolines at Skyzone, and have explored Boston with people in my group. Hahhaha I’ve been joking with Rana that I have more of a life here than I have at home haha. But I’m glad I get to do my work, and then play too while I’m here(:

Random pictures:








Martha’s Vineyard:





Boat Cruise:





Kayaking:




And I’ve also ran into Julio Silva, a fellow MARCer, and we’ve hung out a couple of times(:


Oh, and my dad actually came to visit me 4th of July weekend (because fireworks and festivals here are AMAZING here), and he is a huge history nerd, so we got to experience the 4th and explore some historical sites in Boston (as well as explore Harvard and MIT) together; it was fun, and I think he enjoyed himself.



And research is going well! I have a western blot (that allows you to visualize proteins; they are the black bands on the image; the “sg” is what targets and mutates the genes of interest)


and a surveyor gel (which allows you to see if your cells are properly mutated; you want to see two bands for each of the mutants and a single band for the wildtype/normal cells,  and this is exactly what we see! :D)


Okay, that’s all for now!
I’ll write again soon. Take care!

-Tay<3 o:p="">











1 comment:

JaNayBW said...

I just love looking at all your pictures. Girl, you were doing it!

Love you infinity, miss you forever.

Nay