Thursday, August 28, 2014

Steve Guzman, Summer 2014, Blog Post 1

Blog Submission #1:


Greetings from Los Angeles!  I’m Steve Guzman and this is my final summer research experience here at UCLA.  Currently, I am completing a first authorship manuscript.  These past few weeks have been extremely busy trying to wrap up my project.  I am writing an article about the longitudinal changes that occur within single motor units in upper limb rhesus monkeys after a spinal injury.  I spend most of my days generating figures and reading articles.  At times it can be quite tedious work but my main motivation is that I’ll have my first publication out soon! Aside from working on my project I’ve been mentoring new incoming transfer students who are participating in summer research programs.  Aside from all the work at lab and the mentoring, I’ve been playing a lot of beach volleyball on the weekends.  I’ve realized that this could possibly be my last summer in Los Angeles or even California for a while, and so I must enjoy the beach as much as possible! The first image is a picture of me (don’t mind my goofy expression) at Bruin Plaza when UCLA was flooded by the main water line.  Thankfully, no one was harmed. The second picture is of me at Will Rogers Beach playing beach volleyball.  I hope all my other fellow MARCers are enjoying themselves this summer and I can’t wait to hear from them soon!



No comments: