Thursday, August 28, 2014

Mark Douglass, Summer 2014, Blog Post 1


Hello everyone! I hope you are all having a wonderful summer. My name is Mark Douglass and this summer I am working in Dr. Ren Sun’s lab in the Molecular and Medical Pharmacology Department at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. My direct mentor is associate professor Dr. Ting-Ting Wu, and all of our group’s projects focus on the molecular virology of gammaherpes viruses. I have been working in this lab since March, and things are really going well now that I get to dedicate so much time here this summer. My specific project focuses on understanding the molecular function of open reading frame 73 (ORF73), a specific protein expressed during the latent stage of infection. This is important because the latent stage of infection is linked to oncogenesis. We use Murine Herpes Virus 68 as a model for the human pathogens Epstein-Barr virus and Karposi’s Sarcoma-Associated Herpes virus.
I have been using basic methods such as the polymerase chain reaction, gel electrophoresis, cloning, and cell culture to develop a recombinant virus; which will allow me to study the molecular interactions of our gene of interest using co-immunoprecipitation and mass spectrometry. The overarching goal is to identify possible target mechanisms and molecules for antiviral treatments.
The weeks I’ve dedicated thus far to the lab, and the MARC program, have been very rewarding. I am beginning to comprehend what it’s truly like to be a scientist. The workshops and seminars that we are supplemented with have been invaluable; they have offered guidance and brought awareness to the possibilities within the STEM field. I have also enjoyed living in the dorms, meeting people from all around the country, and going on group trips to the Getty and the Griffith Observatory.




No comments: