Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Benni Vargas, Post 1



            Hello Everyone! This is Benni Vargas and I am a rising 5th year majoring in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics. This summer 2015, I am conducting research at the University of California, San Diego, under the support of the UCSD STARS Program in the laboratory of Dr. Deborah H. Spector. The lab is studying the link between Human Cytomegalovirus (HCMV) infection and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease and leads to heart attacks and stroke. Though there are many risk factors associated with atherosclerosis such as diet, age, and smoking, the role microbes play in the pathogenesis of the disease has not been well studied. We will be assessing the effect of a cholesterol-reducing drug called pitavastatin on inhibition of HCMV viral replication proteins.

            I am enjoying my time here at San Diego exploring the beaches and the city. I am currently studying hard for the GRE as I am taking the exam this summer. Wish me luck! I hope to make significant progress with our project and learn all that I can in the Spector lab this summer and network with the summer program students and faculty here. 


About to go into the dark room to develop my western blot!


Success! Developed my first ever western blot! Look at em viral proteins. 


More of my films that I developed. My first attempt at the western blot would not have been successful if it were not for the much appreciated guidance of my direct mentor Maite.



4 comments:

Nancy said...

Hello Benni,
Nice blog post. Good luck studying for the GRE and with your project. I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

Unknown said...

Hi Benni,
I am also studying for the GRE, so I know how much work it is! But I am sure we will do great :) Your project on the influence of microbes on atherosclerosis progression sounds very interesting! I can't wait to hear more about how everything progresses.

DDS said...

Benny,

Sounds like a good time at UCSD. I know you learned a lot as well. I want to hear more about how the research turned out.

Dr. Simmons

Benni Vargas said...

@Nancy Thank you!
@Lara Good luck to us both! I have updated results on my second blog!
@Dr. Simmons I would be sad if I hadn't learned a lot this summer.