Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Eric Alexander Sosa, Post 2



Since I have worked with MARC, I have attended many seminars that have further prepared me in my path towards an M.D/Ph. D. I have gained insight into grant writing, scholarship applications, and the development of both the statement of purpose and the diversity statement. I hope that these skills that I acquire will help me both as a current student and in my future career.
                In my laboratory currently, I continue to study embryonic development in the frog species of Xenopus Laevis. Here I have gained valuable experience in learning to perform embryonic injections, RNA sequencing and in-situ hybridization to further study the Spemann organizer. I have also created heatmaps that illustrate gene expression patterns in different sides (dorsal and ventral lip) of the embryo. Furthermore, I continue to work on and improve upon my culminating research paper that documents the procedures and results of my work in the De Robertis lab.
                So far my experience in the MARC program has been inspirational and exciting and I look forward to continuing throughout the summer. 

Beginning the long MaxiPrep journey.

​Dorsal and Ventral lip heatmaps measuring RPKM (reads per kilobase per million) and fold increase of some interesting genes.

​Xenopus Laevis reunion, how exciting!

1 comment:

DDS said...

Eric,

I love those amphibians! The summer is such a wonderful time to not only work in the lab (making a lot of progress), but also to explore in more depth your career options and hear seminars. I am glad you are taking advantage of what UCLA has to offer in the summer.

Dr. Simmons