Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Swasty Chandra, Post 1




Hi guys!
I’m Swasty, a rising senior majoring in Neuroscience.  I am currently spending my summer at the Goldman Laboratory in The University of Rochester in NY. My summer lab focuses on glial and neuronal disorders, which could be treatable through a greater understanding of glial and neuronal progenitor cells. For my project, I will focus on the remyelination of hypomyelinated shiverer mice via neonatal engraftment of human glial progenitor cells.  I will (potentially—due to the brevity of my time here) be studying the infiltration patterns and proliferation of human glial progenitor cells as well as myelination of native hypomyelinated cells within the brains of shiverer mice injected with one of two different classes of sorted cells, with hopes to find a “better” marker with which to select hGPCs by. I must admit I was scared to go to another lab, because I got lucky with my lab and mentorship back at UCLA, but it has been a pretty smooth transition. The only difficulty is that I will only be here for 6 weeks, 3 of which have already passed.  I will start imaging and quantifying stuff tomorrow.  Fingers crossed I get some good data!! As a side note, I brought up CLARITY with my mentor and she pointed me in the direction of someone in the lab who wanted to work on it as well! Another undergrad and I have been working under him on troubleshooting the equipment needed for active clearing as a side project.  Unfortunately, I’ll probably be gone by the time this project takes offL  Also, people here wear shorts and eat/drink in the lab… I might come back to UCLA with some bad lab habits.
Outside of lab, I participate in anatomy lectures, labs, problem based learning and many other events put together by the lovely SURF program.  Coming in two weeks after the program start date, I was intimidated by meeting the cohort and acclimating to the program alone, however everyone here has been amazingly friendly. I have met awesome people in and out of lab and it has really made my experience an extremely positive one.



The campus is beautiful!


Getting creative naming our test brains

3 comments:

Abel said...

Hi Swasty,
I'm interested to see how your CLARITY work came together. I know it's a very interesting technique. Also, it seems like your program is keeping you very busy. I'd like to know how those classes were.
Cheers,
Abel

Unknown said...

Swasty,

Wow, your project seems really cool, it's a bummer you can't stay longer. I am sure you would've enjoyed it. I hope you learn as much as you can. The campus looks pretty! Have fun.

Best,
Rob

DDS said...

Swasty,

It sounds like you made an awesome transition and did some new things in the lab. Having different kinds of lab experiences is very important and I know you have grown so much from it. Also, you get to see a place like Rochester and now you know it is a pretty nice place.

Dr. SImmons