Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Tien Phan, Post 1



     I’m spending this summer at UW in Seattle in Dr. Randall Moon’s lab. Dr. Moon, of course, is the person who demonstrated that overexpression of Wnt led to TWO-HEADED animals (!!!!) – more about Dr. Moon here (www.hhmi.org/scientists/randall-t-moon).
Currently, the Moon lab members are doing research to look into the role of Wnt/B-catenin in different regeneration processes (fin, heart, spinal cord, and brain regeneration). I did not know this, but zebrafish (and other lower vertebrate species) have AWESOME regenerative capabilities. They can regrow amputated fins, injured brain, retina, spinal cord, heart, etc. I am completely fascinated by their awesomeness.
So, this summer, I am investigating the role of Wnt/B-catenin in neural regeneration after injury. Basically, we’ll stab the fish in the brain with a pin, and see if B-catenin is upregulated at the injured site. Also, to find out which cell type(s) in the brain express B-catenin, we’ll use FACS, which will be a new technique for me to learn. Lastly, we’ll inhibit Wnt/B-catenin signaling and see how well the wound heals.
Exciting as the research is, I am enjoying my time at Seattle. The seafood here tastes AMAZING. There’s a nice view of the Space Needle from my lab. There are also many many festivals in Seattle in the summer. 3 weekends ago I went to the Solstice Fair Parade to watch their famous (or infamous) 1500+ body-painted bike riders (many used transparent body paint). The weekend before last, I went to celebrate SCOTUS decision on marriage equality at the Seattle Pride Parade (#LOVEWINS). Then last weekend, my roommates took me to the top of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center where they work to watch fireworks on July 4th (it is SO beautiful inside Fred Hutch; instead of yellowed science posters, they put amazing paintings and art sculptures in the hallway). This upcoming weekend is Seattle International BeerFest. I know where I’ll be J.

qPCR – Mastering pipetting skills.

With my grad mentor Christina. She’s just made the National team for underwater hockey!
Bikers at the Seattle Solstice Fair Parade

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hello Tien,

Glad you are enjoying your lab experiences and also taking time to explore the city! I look forward to hearing more on the progress of your project.