Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Nancy Morones, Post 2

Hello everyone!
Progress on my project has been going smoothly, albeit slowly. We just recently received some new primers for genotyping and ChIP experiments as well as our EMSA kit. We are primarily looking at the Smad 1,5 and 8 protein complex within the BMP pathway and how it interacts with BMP target genes in the absence of Smad4, a Smad cofactor in canonical BMP signaling. Characterizing this will help us understand noncanonical signaling which may potentially activate genes necessary to form chondrocytes, or cartilage cells.
My lab routine consists of generally keep tabs on our mouse strains by checking for new pups and making sure our colonies are healthy. I also check on our cells, both primary and from cell lines. I have been producing Western blots from mutant lysates to check for housekeeping genes, as well as to determine a successful knockout. Eventually I will be probing for target genes in these mutants and wildtypes. The process of Western blotting has been very novel to me and I really enjoy it.



This the Orthopaedics Research building where my lab is located.


This is how we made the SDS-PAGE gels.

1 comment:

DDS said...

Although you say it has been going slowly, I bet the progress you have made this summer would have taken you the whole academic year. Go Westerns!!

Dr. Simmons