Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Roberto Naranjo, Post 1



Hey everyone,
     I am really excited to be working in Dr. Robert Langer’s lab at MIT. His lab focuses on designing and developing drug and nutrient delivery systems. Back at my home institution, UCLA, I am in a large lab of 25+ researchers. When I stepped foot in Langer’s lab, my definition of large changed. There are 200+ researchers in my summer lab. I was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning but slowly, while getting to know everyone in my subgroup, it became comfortable. The training was very long and intensive, and it was about a week before I could actually start running experiments. At MIT, I work on my direct mentor’s projects in the lab. One of them is called SALTS, which are microparticles that are going to have vitamins and minerals encapsulated to withstand standard cooking procedures and then, release the vitamin/mineral only when digested in the stomach. The second project is called Hydrogel, which will be a type of cancer drug delivery system. The idea is to create a material that is thermoresponsive and will be a liquid at room temperature and solidifies at body temperature. I know that is a bit strange since we have a notion that if temperature increases, the fluid should not become a solid. There is a bit of polymer science to explain which I won’t here, but you guys will hear in my chalk talk! I am learning a lot of new synthesizing techniques and methods. I have always wanted to do drug delivery work and this is a great opportunity to get experience in this field which I could potentially pursue in graduate school.  Anyways, I am grateful for this experience and so far, I am enjoying every single day in lab.
Boston is super awesome! I am glad to be living in a different city other than LA. I have done multiple activities and explored many sites since arriving. I have explored Boston harbor, visited Paul Revere’s house, walked the whole freedom trail (on 4th of July), and attended a Red Sox game (they lost). The weather here is a bit bipolar, but it’s okay because I have this awesome Red Sox pancho which comes in handy every time it rains. My friends and I planned a trip to NYC and we had a good time exploring the city. It was nice to hang out with friends from UCLA, and it was especially amazing since we weren’t stressed studying for an exam and such. I’ll have more adventures to talk about in the next few weeks and I’ll update you guys on how they went!
I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Best,
Roberto Naranjo


Extremely happy to be here!


Right before the 4th of July fireworks!


Watching the Red Sox play at Fenway Park!


Mini MARC reunion in NYC with Swasty and Abel.

1 comment:

Abel said...

Your projects sound really interesting, Bob. I'm interested to see how you fit them together in the chalk talk. It also sounds like you're having a good summer thus far. Nice to hear/read.